Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to the missionary blog of Sister Ralynne Riggs. Here you will be able to follow Ralynne's experiences as she serves a full-time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in the California San Diego Mission and Mormon Battalion Historic Site. We will do our best to keep you updated weekly and hope you will find joy in being a part of Sister Riggs' mission!

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Week of Love!!!

Hello Dear Family!
 
Happy Valentine's week! I hope your week is full of so much love you don't even know what to do with it! I also hope you take a minute to tell those you love how much you appreciate having them in your life...and also tell someone, who might not have many to say to them how much they are loved, how great they are or some kind compliment that will lift their hearts! This world needs more love! I LOVE you all SO MUCH and the more I serve a mission the more I love and appreciate you, and thank Heavenly Father for blessing me with such incredible people in my life that I KNOW I would not be who I am today had it been any other way! You are my greatest Valentine's! Look for a Valentine from Heavenly Father this week...I know He will show you how much He loves you if you look = )
 
I have so much to tell you all...I forgot a few things last week that were pretty awesome! First thing's first though...we got transfer calls today and I found out I am staying in the La Jolla Singles Ward with Sister Rasmussen!!! Sister Pagel is being transferred so the adventures of the three Blonde Musketeers are over. I guess I better get use to this Singles Ward thing = )
 
So...last week I had the opportunity to whip out my best Jack Bauer (from "24") skills and capture a bad guy on the run...but I guess there really is only one Bauer...because I completely failed... I was on shift at the Mormon Battalion and it was kind of slow...late afternoon around 4pm...and I was up at the front sitting on one of the couches talking to another Sister and this guy came walking down the hallway very quickly...looked a little agitated and was putting something in his pocket. He turned the corner right into Theatre 1 and we heard the back exit door open and close. He completely knew where he was going. Sister Madsen asked, "Who was that?" I said, "I don't know...guess he knows where he's going." She said, "Yeah that was weird." We thought nothing of it until policemen started running through the building. A cop told one of the Sisters walking outside that there was an armed man on the run and it was dangerous and she should go in. We quickly spoke up and told him we had seen a sketchy guy come through and exit out the back theatre door. He asked, very agitated, which way he went and we said we didn't know...that we hadn't watched him that far. We were able to give him a description of what he looked like. We then saw in the parking lot what appeared to have happened. He had crashed a stolen van into a car in the back, abandoned it and ran and jumped over our back wall. He came through the back door people exit to go pan for gold and walked through and to the theatre and out the side door. I walked out front to find several cop cars and cops going up and down the street on their walkies and there was a helicopter searching over old town for the bandit! Then a citizen from old town ran up to the cops and said he saw him change his clothes in one of the stores. They threw him in the car and suddenly everybody was on the move. I was so disappointed with myself. He looked sketchy for sure and I thought nothing of it cause he seemed to know exactly where he was going. I was like, "Man! I could have followed him in the theatre and asked him what he was doing...then realized he was a criminal and taken him out with my pioneer dress! Or offered to take him on a tour then karate chop him!" Ha...the cops were only like 30 seconds behind him...if I could have just detained him a few it may have helped! Sister Madsen, in the meantime, said, "I'm glad we didn't! We could be dead!" I felt I had failed with my civil duties and was wishing I would have been more alert! Ha..Jack Bauer would be so disappointed = ) Anyway, the next day I was shown the footage from the security cameras and had to identify the criminal and confirm who it was. I felt like I was in an action movie...well...as action packed as it can get here in Old Town at the Mormon Battalion ; ) It was pretty crazy! Don't know if they ever caught the guy...but it sure surprised us that day.
 
In my Miracle news, we had another baptism this week for our sweet friend Tanya Ramos. Her parents were baptized about 2 years ago and so she was already going to church and pretty well acquainted with everything. She is a student at UCSD and extremely shy. She understands and loves the gospel though, and simply couldn't wait to be baptized! She asked me to sing her favorite hymn at her baptism, "I Need Thee Every Hour." I asked her if she wanted me to sing it in Spanish since she is Spanish and her parents would be coming and they speak very little English. She said no and English would be fine....I wouldn't settle for that though. I sang the last verse in Spanish and when I began and she realized it, the smile that beamed across her sweet face was an image I will never forget. Like I said, she is very shy and shows little emotion...so to see how happy that made her was the greatest. She hugged me after and thanked me for the song. She is already a great little missionary too...her 2 roommates came to the baptism...one brought her flowers and then they took her out for a special lunch after claiming it was her big day. They were very very sweet and I asked how they felt watching the baptism and they felt so happy and were just so excited because they knew how badly she wanted it. I told them they felt that because it was right. I hope they will want to learn as Tanya did soon. As I watched her receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, I felt a strong spirit as I looked at the smile on her face and watched as the proper priesthood authority of God was being exercised for her personal salvation. I am so thankful to know that has been restored to the earth and to see other's Eternity forever changed, and life here on earth forever made better because of their decision to answer our Savior's call of, "Come, follow me."
 
So we are struggling to find new people to teach now...I am not use to this. in Fuerte I usually had 5 to 8 progressing investigators. Now we have 0 and are lucky if we have 1 or 2...BUT the Lord has already blessed us! We met Raquel on Sunday and we will be teaching her tonight for the first time. She is from L.A. and has a boyfriend who is a member and goes to BYU. He encouraged her to take an institute class on The Book of Mormon, so she did last quarter. She has enrolled in another one this quarter and has loved everything she has read. Her family is Jewish, but she said she knows and feels what she has read an learned is true! Wow! Heavenly Father loves us! Miracles! She loved church, and brought her friend and she loved it too! I am excited to teach these 2 sweet girls!
 
I had the chance to perform at the Misison President's Fireside again this month. I whipped out my trumpet skills again and played "Called to Serve" with Elder Coon as the missionaries came marching in through the chapel singing. That was pretty cool...and I didn't do so bad! = ) I also had the chance to sing a duet with Elder Dehlin (one of our Assistants to the President who has a very beautiful voice). We sang "Power in His Touch" and the spirit was felt in abundance. Some said to us after that we should do business together after our missions! I was grateful for the opportunity to sing with him and to share my talents and testimony through a song that I love so much... "There is power in His touch. Through His eyes, the blind can see. He has healing in His hands. They reach out for you and me. This is God's plan, to learn His love by following this man. Come find Him and feel the power of His touch." What an incredible and powerful invitation. I was also able to see some old faces from El Cajon...some that are still investigating that I was teaching and some that are working toward a Baptismal date now....it was such a blessing. One, my first baptism, Sister Taylor, saw me and hugged me forever and said she just wanted to take me home = ) How great it is to know the people you gave your heart to have a special place in theirs for you! = ) I also met my number one fan apparently. He said he will be starting a fan page ha ha...he took a picture with me to post and I gave him a signed copy of my CD lol....he was ecstatic = ) I am so thankful to be serving in a mission where I have so many opportunities to use the voice my Father gave me to sing praise and testify of Him and His love!
 
I love you all with all of my heart and you are always in my prayers! Have a wonderful week and remember there's a Sister Missionary in San Diego who loves you and is working her hardest every day and praying for the Lord's blessings to find you!
 
Happy Valentine's Day!
All my love,
Sister Riggs
 
P.S. The picture is of me and 2 wonderful girls I met at the Battalion from Hawaii! They have given me an invitation to come when my mission is over! Ha! Accepted! I will need a serious vacation! = ) They sent me this picture and I wanted to share it!