Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to the missionary blog of Sister Ralynne Riggs. Here you will be able to follow Ralynne's experiences as she serves a full-time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in the California San Diego Mission and Mormon Battalion Historic Site. We will do our best to keep you updated weekly and hope you will find joy in being a part of Sister Riggs' mission!

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Happy February

Hello Loved Ones,

Well I hope you all had a wonderful week and that the Super Bowl treated you well ha! I didn't even know it was the Super Bowl....the only reason I knew was because someone called the Battalion asking if we were closing early because of it. Ha! I love being a missionary and not having any idea about that kind of stuff. It all just doesn't matter when it comes to eternal things! They won't make it to the Celestial Kingdom because they won ha ha! Anyway..hope it was fun for you all though.

I had a wonderful wonderful weekend as we were able to have David yang, our little (6'2') China man! OK...he seriously is the greatest. I just have to share a promise he wrote. We taught him the Law of Chastity and asked him to write a promise to keep it to his future wife! We told him by living it now he was showing her how much he loved her already and this is what he wrote...SO SWEET: 
"To my future wife: I give my promise to you. I will keep the commend of God and keep the chastity before marriage. Also, I will love you and our future children whatever we are rich or poor, health or sick and old or young. I will always stand with you and protect you and keep you safe. I know it is God's willing to gather us together and to let us to spend rest of our life together. As we getting married at the holy temple and God and Jesus Christ can be our witnesses. I am so glad to have you and I will try my best to love you and protect you. in the name of the Jesus Christ. Amen. -David Yang" 
Sinceriously? He is too good to be true. Just the cutest, most humble and faithful young men I have ever met. His baptism was so beautiful and we filled the seats to the back of the room with those who came out from the ward and those families that he knew when he first came as a student. He was baptized by the dad of the family who hosted him as a student. They all love him so much. The funny thing was...the font was not filled up high enough (not our fault) and when they stood in the water it was maybe mid-thigh on the dad...and David is taller than him...I looked at my companions like "oh no!!!" ....but after him basically laying down in the water ha ha...it all worked out. What I loved was he didn't even notice or say anything about that. At the end he bore his testimony and he said, "my first thought when I got in the water was, 'Wow, the water is cold.'" But he said after his baptism when he went back to change he just stood there for a minute and did nothing and took a moment to feel and he said the feeling was indescribable and in his words. "I'm so exciting right now!" = ) His testimony was powerful and I was crying tears of joy! I had the opportunity to sing "I Am a Child of God." I sang an arrangement in English and surprised him in the middle of the song with 2 verses in Chinese. When I began he gasped and then laughed a little with joy and there was a ripple of joy that spread to everyone in the room as they realized I was singing for him in his native tongue and the spirit was brought so strongly and many began to cry. I am so thankful to have been a literal instrument for the Lord, and to sing that especially for David. But the amazingness doesn't end there! Sunday he was confirmed and given the Gift of the Holy Ghost and he was just BEAMING! Then, he got up and bore his testimony. he said he thought he would just listen but that as he sat there he felt in his heart that the Lord would have him say something! THEN he was interviewed by the Bishop right after and walked out of the office holding his limited use temple recommend AND Bishop told us he would be getting the Aaronic Priesthood after church!!! WHAT?!!! So cool!!!! THEN, he texted us this morning and said, "guess what? I just went to the temple to do baptisms! It felt great to do work for those who have passed on and everything is white!" ha ha! And in our lesson yesterday he said, "Yeah I have my first calling to the Priesthood, next will be a missionary!" OH I JUST LOVE DAVID!!! Seriously...it doesn't get better than that! He was all of my miracles this week = ) 

I am in the middle of more miracles that i am sure will come down the road. We are teaching the apartment of men from Ghana and it is probably the most I have been challenged on my mission. These men are so incredible. They are so faithful. They pray daily and trust in God and understand Gospel. There are 3 of the 7 who are very open...and were it not for the others we could progress in teaching them...but the others are set on the Bible and believe there is no other word...nothing else needed...even asking them to consider and just try reading a page or two they will not do. It blows my mind! I have been delving into the Book of Mormon and the Bible and was counseled to study with their questions in mind...making them my own. Why do we need a second witness? Can I not get to heaven if I just read the Bible? Where does the Bible talk about this Book of Mormon? It says that nothing shall be added and you are telling me this is an additional witness. I bore the most fervent testimony of The Book of Mormon I think I ever have...and they still just can't wrap their mind around it. They told me if I would have said it was a commentary on the Bible that they would read it. So, I decided I am going to make book covers for them and put it on their copies of the Book of Mormon with the title "Bible Commentary" and ask them to read it! ha! I think that will soften their heart = ) Hanifa, Bright, and Pizzaro are so open to it though and they have agreed to read the introduction in preparation for watching the movie "The Testaments." I can't wait for that lesson...and to see how their hearts soften and change as we continue to teach and testify of the 2 witnesses that the Bible and Book of Mormon are of Jesust Christ! It is 2 Nephi 29: 3-10!!! I read those verses and say Amen! I had my eyes opened to the fact that through these men, i am having the opportunity to ask the questions I never had to...and to gain a further witness of the truth....Crazy...scary and intimidating...but cool! It's TRUE!!!!!

The beginning of my week was really rough. I was really struggling and was given a beautiful priesthood blessing with this counsel: "We must be tested. Sometimes we are tried and sometimes we are instruments for others to be tried...either way we are to learn and grow and right now, Heavenly Father would have you grow." Ever since I received that blessing I have felt a change in my every day and I have been able to get through with a smile. I am so thankful for the power of the priesthood on the earth today!

I love you all and miss you so much! I hope you feel and recognize the care of the Savior through this month filled with extra love!

Love,
Sister Riggs