Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to the missionary blog of Sister Ralynne Riggs. Here you will be able to follow Ralynne's experiences as she serves a full-time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in the California San Diego Mission and Mormon Battalion Historic Site. We will do our best to keep you updated weekly and hope you will find joy in being a part of Sister Riggs' mission!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Weekly Letter from Our Favorite Missionary!

Hello Family,

Well it was a busy and eventful week as usual! I had some great opportunities this week to share my talents and develop some! I got to sing with two Elders from the Islands at the Mission President's Fireside on Sunday. The song went really well and I was honored to sing with them. A young woman came up to me after with her Young Woman's leader and said that they had heard me sing back in September and an Elder had told them I would be singing so they wanted to come and meet me. I was so honored. The young woman, Ella, wanted to know what song I sang. I told her it wasn't written anyway but handed her the lyrics I wrote on a piece of paper so she could have the words because the song really touched her heart. The YW leader then told me she had asked if I could come sing for her YW but was told I couldn't unless I served in their ward. These sisters were just so sweet and I was so touched that my voice meant so much to them. I was able to give them a CD and I promised after my mission I would come back and sing for her young women = ). Another sister came up to me in tears and told me to never stop singing and to never leave a lesson without singing for them because she was converted by the spirit she felt when 2 sisters sang to her. She told me she felt the spirit so strongly as I sang and tears just flowed...again...I was so honored. I also helped an Elder leaving put together a number...he wanted to play the trumpet one last time and had written a duet for the trumpet for our mission song...so...yes, I played again, and I have to say all this trumpet practice is helping me get better and better! It was great. I had the idea to have all of the departing missionaries sing the song. I stood on one side of the room and he stood on the other with trumpets in hand. The song is a duet of "A Marvelous Work" and "The Spirit of God." It was pretty neat and our president loved it. After, a little 7-year-old girl wanted to meet me and her parents told her to tell me what she had said when she heard me playing the trumpet...she told me, "Wow! She is so talented! She plays the trumpet too! That's so neat!" She told me about her little guitar she had at home that she was hoping to learn to play! The Elder I played with said on his way out he heard a little girl say excitedly, "I saw a girl trumpet player! I've never seen one before!" Ha ha...I thought that was too cute. I am glad I am inspiring little girls every where to play the trumpet! ha ha. It was also wonderful because our little China man, David, bore his testimony and shared his conversion story! He is UNREAL! As he shared his story, scriptures, quoted Lorenzo Snow and testified that he would spend the rest of his life testifying of God and this gospel... Sister Rasmussen and I were sitting there with our huge smiles saying, "He's UNREAL!" And I truly felt the scripture from Doctrine and Covenants come true....how if we bring even one soul unto Christ "...How great shall be your joy!" Oh how great!!! I love it!!!!

Sunday was a big day...not only did all of that happen but I also was asked to speak in Sacrament meeting. The topic was: "The Atonement Changed My Life." I almost cried just thinking of the topic. What an honor to speak on such a sacred subject. It was weird because I have never struggled more to write a talk....I spent a whole personal study hour just reading things and trying to figure out where to begin....with 3 hours more...I finally brought it together. I felt so nervous about it for some reason...but I felt confident that what I was prompted to write was what was needed and could be said with confidence. Afterward, a girl visiting the ward randomly from SLC came up to me with her friend and said she just had to thank me for my talk...that it was exactly what she needed to hear and she was so thankful. Her friend nodded and said, "Yeah, as you were talking I couldn't believe it...it was like you were speaking directly to her." I told her that meant the world to me because I prayed so fervently to say what needed to be heard. A few others stopped me in the hall telling me similar things. I know I have nothing to boast of that...I am only humble and thankful that the Lord blessed me with the testimony to bear and the words to say. There is nothing more humbling and no greater peace that comes than when you know you have been given an assignment, you pray to be able to fulfill it, and you then receive confirmation that it was what Heavenly Father needed you to do. I love being His instrument!

We have had interesting things happening with our investigators. We are teaching 3 young women who are solid...yet have 3 difficult circumstances that we are praying for help to be able figure out how to help with or how to proceed with. I love each of these girls so much and know the Lord has placed them in our lives for a reason and that if anything can help...it's the gospel of Jesus Christ.  

I had the opportunity to take leaders of the Visitor's centers for the church on a tour at the Battalion. I did my best to be my natural self and make it great and fun and to my astonishment I was complimented by Steve Allen (basically the creative mind and ruler of all media and such for the church). He said he does not compliment in such a way generously...and that he was honest when he said that it was the best he had ever seen the tour done before...and he'd been on a lot here. Wow! That was too nice! I was so relieved! Ha ha...glad I am doing my job right! Funny thing a little girl said on one of my tours as I asked, "Are you ready to go back in time?" She said, "Well, is it going to take long? Because we have already been on a plane for 3 hrs!" Ha ha...oh I died! I just love children! They are the light of my life!!!!

I had a cool miracle but will have to share it next week!

I have been reading in Mosiah about Abinadi ...who has always been my favorite...I learn so much from him every time...I invite you to read it and just stand all amazed at his unshakable faith in the Lord and how he will not cease to do His will until it is done...even if it costs his life! I just love him! I love the Book of Mormon! Oh! Speaking of!..2 of our Ghana friends came to the fireside...the ones that don't accept the Book of Mormon...and that was all ANYBODY talked about and bore testimony of! It was powerful = ) We are anxious to meet with them this week and hear their thoughts! = /

Ok! Love you all! Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Love,
Sister Riggs