Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to the missionary blog of Sister Ralynne Riggs. Here you will be able to follow Ralynne's experiences as she serves a full-time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in the California San Diego Mission and Mormon Battalion Historic Site. We will do our best to keep you updated weekly and hope you will find joy in being a part of Sister Riggs' mission!

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Loving the Spirit of Christ!

Hello Dear Family,
 
Well it has been an eventful week full of teaching the gospel and celebrating the spirit of Christmas by telling people of Christ! There is no greater time to be a missionary! We've been teaching, had Zone Conference, our ward Christmas party....I saw Santaaaaa!!!! The youth sang songs for the program and I got asked by two of them to sing a couple of duets with them...."Silent Night" and "Breath of Heaven." What was really neat was that I thought to call a sweet family that Sister Tanner and I street contacted like 2 or 3 months ago, and they came to the party! She is is devout Christian but she had asked us to let her know when things were happening at the church. I have called and invited her before and she hasn't come, but she came with her 2 kids to the party! They had a great time and she was more willing to let us come to her home to share a message...oh and her daughter wants to be a singer = ) So she is excited that I will be coming by and singing some songs with her! = ) Heavenly Father knows what He is doing!!!
 
The miracles that have happened for me this week have been very personal for me...I have literally felt and seen Heavenly Father answering personal pleas and sending me comfort. And as I have been studying the New Testament...through the power of the spirit I have been learning and understanding more about my Savior and His life, how He did missionary work...most importantly, what He suffered. So I will just share a miracle of an answered prayer...well several answered prayers...or concern of mine....we had dinner with a member whom I love...had the chance to teach her boyfriend and see him baptized! With what was weighing on me a bit and with what she had on her mind and opened up about experiences in her life...(sorry I do not want to share the personal things we shared) she looked me in the eye, and testified to me almost word for word the exact impression that came to my mind years ago at a point in my life when I had asked the Lord why? Why something was happening in my life that I didn't understand and wanted to so badly....I cried as I felt that confirmation and reassurance come that what He had told me then was true. I was in awe and so grateful for the love He showed me that night through this sweet member and I know that it is all right and good. Miracle!
 
Like I said, I have been studying the four gospels and my studies are becoming so sacred I actually say in my prayer before I begin, "Please help my mind and heart to be ready for what I am about to read." It is very heartbreaking to read about the cruelty my dear Savior was treated with...and I can just and will never understand how the people were even able to bring themselves to do such things, I have learned so much, but just this morning I had this thought I wanted to share: I was reading in Mark 15:21 and noticed in both of the accounts from Matthew and Mark, in one verse they mention Simon, a Cyrenian, who was passing by, had 2 sons, and was compelled to carry Christ's cross to Golgatha. I just thought, "What man this must have been?" Who was he? What was his life like? I imagine the Savior felt so much love for him as he helped bear the burden of that walk....Christ had already been through so much...who knows if he did have to carry his cross all the way there, if he would have made it. That couldn't have been easy to do...but I wonder if Simon felt the honor of that...if he knew what he was doing, who he was helping....and as I thought further...at least to my knowledge...that is the one time, through the whole process of the Atonement and Crucifixion that Christ is helped...that His burden is lifted just a little....that His suffering didn't have to be as much as it would have been had He had to carry His cross....I love this man Simon for what he did....there is no record of how he felt about it....just that he was "compelled"...so it may not have been willingly...but he did it...and what his sons Alexander and Rufus must have felt as they saw their father do that...I wonder....
 
I love my Savior. I love bearing His name and doing all I can to bring Him honor every day. I pray all of your Holidays are blessed and Happy! Remember the whole reason we have this special time of year is because of the gift of our Savior, Jesus Christ...whom the Father gave "silently, how silently" ....and the gift our Savior gave to us "silently, how silently" as He "held his peace and opened not his mouth..." even though He had every right to...and could have done so easily.
 
Share His Spirit with others...it is the best gift we can give to Him and to our brothers and sister throughout the world!!
 
I love you all so much! Thanks for all your love and prayers and letters of encouragement!!! They mean the world to me!
Merry Christmas!!! Can't wait to talk to the Family on the phone!!!!!! Aaaaahhhhh!!!!!
 
Love you forever!
Sister Riggs
xoxoxoXXXOOOO!!!